Lazy, hazy, and hard working

I think the idea that we slow down in summer is a fallacy. Sure, they may be less structured days if you are a student, stay-at-home parent, teacher, etc. But we find ways to fill them very, very quickly. I'm starting to think of the time between now and back-to-school in weeks, rather than months already, and it's not quite July yet. 


The "Falkland" wool is almost spun. Maybe 2 hours of putting it into singles, and then I can ply it into a deliciously bouncy and round 3-ply worsted. 



All my siblings are done school now, so we all sort of do our own thing during the day, co-existing in the same space as separate entities, and then rejoining for shared tv watching after dinner some evenings. 


It was a strange week. Some stressful work things, and then some stress-free days when a good friend rolled into town for the weekend. 


We went out, alone for a while to chat and catch up, and then also to a friend's house warming, and then out to swing dance the next day and our favourite weekly pub trivia. Lots of good stuff. Really as much as we could pack into a single visit. I love how relaxed I look in this photo. My friend and I are both sort of caught in a strange existential place in life; we're both done our undergrads, and trying to eek out a direction in life while also affirming the directionless wandering as both creative and valuable. It's not so much about "finding ourselves," because we're both aware of who we are and what we are good at, but more trying to live well while we make steps towards the more eventual, but distant, "Good Life." The one out there in the soon but not yet realm. 

Living well has a lot more to do with small moments, I think. Not the grand accomplishments or rapid life changes, but the tiny, peaceful, and satisfying moments. A small sip of cold beer, picking up knitting, chatting with friends, being vulnerable at church. Tiny moments build a big life. 



Taking snapshots of my life today really brought home my decorating aesthetic. Tiny things in jars, plus light. It's really not that surprising, though, when you take a look at my mom's emerging studio space:



Comments

Popular Posts