Books on Sheep: A variation on a theme

I'm only 45 pages into James Rebank's The Shepherd's Life: A Tale of the Lake District. And it is amazing. I've already learned so much about Herdwicks. They are ideal for the rough terrain of the Lake District, having remained genetically unchanged since they were brought to England by the Vikings. Yup, that's an intense breed. Also, Herdwick ewes who spend their first year in the fells before being sold to farmers in the lower lands are heartier and stronger than Herdwick ewes born in the lowlands. Rebank also discusses the impact of tourism on the area, its blessings and curses. A definite read for anyone who loves England, wool, or sheep. Or philosophy, or poetry, or human nature. Seriously, just read it.


Good book, great quilt. I've moved all my quilts back to Kingston, but I'm back in TO for a few days, and I snitched a quilt my mom made from another part of the house. It's amazing the difference a handmade quilt has in the gezelligheid of a room. 
Also, here are some photos of a hat that I made last week. The colour palette jumped at me when I was moving yarn around in my room the other day, and I knit it immediately. Sometimes, you just have to get an idea out of your system. It's in Briggs & Little, Regal, which I will love eternal. 









Will we ever really tire of these beautiful sights?

Comments

Popular Posts