The sewing bug and a month of travels

I got bit by the sewing bug this week. Like crocheting, it doesn't come very often, but when it does, it is quite ferocious. I used the Willow Tank pattern from Grainline Studios, and was quite pleased with the results. The pattern was clear, true to cutting, and I'm very pleased with the shape of the garment in the end. I made two tanks and then extended the A-line shape of the tank to make a knee length dress. All very pleasing. My sister even got in the fun, and a made a tank of her own, and my mom joined us in the studio and drafted a shirt for herself. 



The dress was a light, polka dotted denim. And I love it dearly.



One of the tanks was fancy cut for a long border.


And the second tank was another light denim, sort of tie-dyed. I'm wearing it as I type, and boy, is it comfortable.

I think I slowly want to add pieces like these to my wardrobe. I can't afford to add them all in today, though I would love to. Moving towards a wardrobe that is either sustainable or handmade (hopefully both, when possible), is a slow process, I think. Maybe I'll just acquire a piece of fabric or two as I find them. Upon reflection, the times I am most likely to run out and buy without consideration to sustainability or budget are the times when I feel gross in my body. Sometimes, retail therapy does ease that, because it allows myself to feel comfortable in my body as it is in that day. But, all those benefits don't make the fact that I purchase poorly made garments or even well-made garments from a poorly paid seamstress. Just things to work at. 

I can't promise blogs for the next month or so. I'm traveling for all of August, in three different directions of our beautiful country! I'm excited. And excited for travel knitting, of course. I don't leave on the first venture for a few days, but everything is nicely packed. Well, I say that, but of course only the important things are packed: the knitting. All my in progress or soon to be in progress projects are laid out and put in project bags. I'm planning to take my new socks with me on Friday when I leave, and one of my cabled hats. Fun fun fun.


This is the Seathwaite hat, free from Fringe Association. I've wanted to knit it for a while, and I've convinced Darcie to knit a-long with me. 


And some new socks, in Alegrìa, from Manos del Uruguay. In the most exquisite colours. I love that I know my yarn was dyed by a woman named Mariela. And where she lives. All clothes should have this clear a lineage. 

Comments

Popular Posts