Julia the Pedant

This is the story of a sweater. It's been knit twice. It's been frogged and washed twice. It's been worn zero times.

This story of a sweater is really the story of my learning curve, knitting my first garment with cotton.



In reality it's only 50% cotton, and the other 50% is wool. But I swear it's very different to knit with, lacking the elasticity of wool. I love the feel of the yarn and my swatches, but it hasn't stopped me sitting and whining and whimpering about the drape of the garment or the way it feels to knit with it. Whimpering little Julia. Julia the pedant who can't get over the fact that it just doesn't stretch like wool, so it's annoying to knit with. I know the end result will be dreamy and soft, but I'm gonna keep whining about it a little longer if you permit me.



I've switched to bamboo needles, which I normally don't prefer, because this post at Quince and Co explained how bamboo or wooden needles can be much more pleasant when knitting with plant fibres. And it has made all the difference. I actually don't mind knitting on it any more. I picked up the bamboo needles earlier today (after this graphic assured me that the difference would likely be row gauge and not needle gauge), and my dad asked with an air of amused disbelief and indignance, "Surely you have every size of needle by now!?" Well, yes Daddy, I have them all in METAL, but not bamboo! And then I educated him about gauge and needle type, etc.



I'm making an adapted Lucinda pullover. I've been in love with this one for a while (and it's my sister's name!). I did a split, ribbed hem instead, because one of my favourite sweaters has this feature, and since I was doing ribbing, I sucked it up and did tubular cast ons.

 

In spinning news, I finished the Falkland, and started on my newest half fleece. For what ever reason, it's taking FOREVER, and this is 4.5h of spinning. I gotta find a better way to prepare the locks so that drafting can be done faster.



This weird yellow-green-brown colour (which we all know I love), came home with me from the shop's clearance bin when I got my needles (oops).



And double oops on these two sock yarn skeins I picked up on Sunday at Purlin' J's yarn truck. I hadn't managed to get to any of her showings in quite a while, and I couldn't decide between these colourways. The yarn is 8-ply! With that many plies, the yarn is both squishier than you can imagine, and kind of "liquid," if you know what I mean by that when I describe its lustre.



And there you have it. In a "surprise" twist of events, I spun, knit, bought more yarn, and threw a fit.


Comments

  1. I love Bamboo I do find the make the stitches so even with plant fibers and makes things for me more close as to stitches. I think with some of them its tricky depending how they are coated. I can't wait to see your end result.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts