At the Wool Depot: Pictures of our Day

On Saturday, the ladies took a road trip. Me, my mum, and my sisters. We headed in the general direction of Ottawa, with a loosely scheduled plan. We decided to go only on Thursday, so I worked hard on Friday to get my Saturday stuff done too. Mum said she looked up a couple yarn shops between us and Ottawa, I smiled, and we set off.

First we stopped in Smith Falls at the Heritage House for a tour, had lunch in the best little café called C'est Tout, and then hit up Knit Knackers. I've never been there before, but I want to give it my glowing review: It's wide ranging in yarn type, well-priced, and has an entire spinning section with local fleeces and pre-prepared batts. I bought a skein of Alegria by Manos, for secret reasons which will become clear in about a year and a half.

We drove 20 minutes down the road, and my mom dropped me off at what she called "the next yarn store." When we drove up, it was massive, and I got very excited.

My mom pointed out the plaque, which I read before heading inside. 3 million lbs of fleece a year!!!

Julia: Excuse me, could you tell me what factories receive the 3 millions lbs you process here each year?

Store Keep: Sure, here's a brochure. Also, how did you know about the 3 million pounds?

Julia: Thank you. And I read the plaque outside.

Store Keep: Good girl.

Julia: Does any of this wool get sent to Briggs and Little's mill in NB? I'm going there next month.

Store Keep: Yes, it does. We have the only certified wool grader in Canada.

Julia: [nearly faints]

Store Keep: He's not in today, but I could let you wander the sorting room.

Julia: [nods and nearly faints again]


It's really hard to tell scale in these pictures, but it's massive. It's the length of a sports field, and ever so tall. My sister is 5'5", for reference.

These are the sorted ones:


And unsorted: (Again, convenient sister for scale!)



The ceiling was really cool. And the lighting was amazing.



This would be such a neat place to do a photo shoot, because the lighting is perfect, and there are bales of wool everywhere.



The fleeces just drip with lanolin.



The shop has a good variety of larger commercial wools and smaller mill wools (Like B&L, but I abstained from buying the skein of Heritage I was fondling, because I'll be at the mill itself soon). But I did buy a 1/4 lb batt of roving from Custom Woollen Mills in Carstairs, AB. I'd almost ordered some a few months ago, but I didn't want to pay shipping. Sadly they didn't carry CWM's yarns, which I really wanted to try, but they did have blankets from MacAusland's in PEI. Such beautiful blankets.



And that was my lovely happenstance at the Depot. The day finished with some knitting and nature watching in Ottawa:










And the socks I photographed at the riverbank matched the sunset that followed. A wonderful day.

Comments

Popular Posts