Podcasts and Leicester Longwool

Today I tried my first few yards of Leicester Longwool, a gift from my aunt. I know not to put to much twist in my yarn, lest it become "rope-y", so I went for low twist, and then loosely 3 plied, via Navajo plying. I want to try making its yarn antithesis next, a 2 ply with higher twist, so that I can see how it acts under different circumstances, because every fleece is different.


The low twist gives it a bit of a halo. It seems a bit like a yarn with a high mohair content. I think it would have a beautiful handle if knit at a loose gauge, being very different from how I've normally seen long wools (low twist, lace or fingering weight, silky, smooth. Used for lace or sturdy garments).
This knitty article has some good visuals.

I listen to podcasts when I'm spinning. It's a good balance between the need for more concentration then when knitting and the focus of tv. Today I listened to In Our Time, a philosophy podcast from BBC on various subjects. The two I listened to were on Sovereignty (not "monarchy" but how sovereign power has been perceived through time, and how that power can be partially or fully held by a monarch, a state, an individual, etc.) and one on the idea of "Muses" in Greek culture. Side note: [It gave me me my academic fill for the day, while I'm waiting for my books in the mail. Noam Chomsky has a new book out, a culminating commentary on all his linguistic philosophy, which I am anxious to read and compare with Charles Taylor's latest book on the same topic.]

I most often listen, however, to Woolful, No Such Thing as a Fish (a fave), and PomCast (those women are hilarious). What do you do when spinning?



From the back yard: Peonies are out, roses and blackberries are in.

Comments

Popular Posts